A quick and reliable tool for determining IBS-D associated with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). IBSSure™ is a simple blood test that detects two antibodies that are indicative of bacterial-pathogen-induced motility dysfunction, which can lead to an increased incidence of SIBO. Vibrant’s IBSSure™ is a simple, gut-motility test that can be used to identify irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and to rule out inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
About the Test
IBS is a commonly occurring collection of symptoms diagnosed in the world of gastroenterology. It is the most common GI disorder with worldwide prevalence rates ranging from 10-15%. There are between 2.4 and 3.5 million physician visits annually for IBS in the US. Recent research has shown that up to 84% of those with an IBS diagnosis test positive for a Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth breath test. Breath tests for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth can be very time-consuming for patients, as well as inaccurate, due to many factors.
We identify two markers: CdtB (Cytolethal Distending Toxin B) and anti-vinculin, which confirms dysmotility at the junction of the large and small intestine; this could present itself symptomatically as diarrhea or constipation. The importance of understanding the migrating motor complex (MMC) can help alleviate your patient’s symptoms. Should both biomarkers be elevated, there is an 89% correlation to SIBO. The simple intervention of prokinetic supplementation and lifestyle changes that will stimulate the MMC could provide your patient with symptomatic alleviation.
What is SIBO?
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is defined as the presence of excessive bacteria in the small intestine
- SIBO is frequently implicated as the cause of chronic diarrhea and malabsorption in addition to intestinal hyper-permeability
- Patients with SIBO may also suffer from unintentional weight loss, nutritional deficiencies, and osteoporosis
- A common misconception is that SIBO affects only a limited number of patients, such as those with an anatomic abnormality of the upper gastrointestinal (GI) tract or those with a motility disorder
- SIBO may be more prevalent than previously thought. This apparent increase in prevalence may have occurred, in part, because readily available diagnostic tests have improved our ability to diagnose SIBO
Which patients can benefit from IBSSure™?
Those with the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain/discomfort
- Abdominal distension
- Excessive gas
- Fatigue, especially after meals
- Brain fog
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Worsened symptoms when consuming carbohydrates and fibrous vegetables
- Unexplained weight loss
The Vibrant Advantage
Vibrant’s proprietary array of protein chips capture antibodies to CdtB and Vinculin using a chemiluminescent technology delivering high sensitivity and specificity of detection compared to ELISA platforms. IBSSure™ may help:
- Add a tool that can confirm IBS-D and IBS-M with 89% positive predictive rate
- Help practitioners monitor risk for SIBO recurrence
- Identify the pathophysiological reason behind IBS
For additional information and pricing, call (908) 658-4900 Monday- Friday 10am-5pm EST.